Tomasz Tunguz wrote this piece last year and it is a great place to start 2020 for all of us working on a SAAS product. In multiple forums and columns one key learning has been developing the ability to ask the right questions at various times in your business lifecycle. If the answers surprise you – which most likely it will – you have your work cut out. Consider these 8 questions (of 13) focused on the customer any PMM should be asking –
* Which market segment should we pursue?
* How should we respond when customers ask for discounts?
* How much customization do we offer?
* How can we reduce or maintain cost of customer acquisition?
* How can we retain our customers for longer?
* Which of our customers are the most important?
* How can the business develop multiple channels of customer acquisition and avoid channel conflict?
* How can we orient the entire business to be more customer oriented?
If like me you are in early stages and as a Founder wearing both the PM and PMM hats you know what to do. Write the answers down as honestly as you can or go find them.
Read the post. It has lots of inputs around this and hiring a great PMM.
Where I learnt this #373
THE 13 CRITICAL QUESTIONS TO ANSWER ABOUT YOUR STARTUP’S PRODUCT MARKETING