The Go-To-Market Report for Startups 2019 covered a lot of ground with not so surprising information.
Here are a few :
- Successful startups employ 2.5x more sales professionals than marketing. Respondents averaged 6.1 sales professionals per organization and 2.4 in marketing.
- Large commissions remain the most prevalent incentive system for sales. 65% of reported that their startup used large commissions to incentivize their sales reps.
- Most time is spent developing the product or service. 42% + of startups spent the majority of their time on developing their product or service. 37% of the time was spent acquiring customers.
- Startups wish they had prioritized their time better in 2018. 70% of startups said they wish they had prioritized their time differently in 2018. Startups that prioritized towards raising capital in 2018 were more confident than those who prioritized content creation.
- Many startups are finding success without institutional funding 80% of successful startups received at least one round of institutional funding (angel to IPO), 20% are bootstrapping to success.
There is more in the report shared by Hubspot. If you want to benchmark your startup around factors that are critical for success, you would want to read all the data revealed by the respondents, in the link below.
The Go-To-Market Report for Startups: 2019 https://www.hubspot.com/startups/go-to-market-startups/2019