Sammy Abdullah Co-Founder of Blossom Street Ventures wrote this overview of Startup CEO salaries which is educative as well as indicative of some trends. He painstakingly gathered and analyzed data as disclosed by companies while filing for their IPO’s and this is what it revealed:
1. Some of the best CEO’s take the lowest salaries (partially because they were personally wealthy by the time they got started)
2. $276K is the median salary for very successful company – about to go public.
3. There are other forms of compensations which include options (median 54k) and bonuses (median 80k) .
4. Before IPO (and this is a long way off for most startup CEO’s) some founders were granted very large options.
5. Salaries for Startup CEO’s have gone up significantly over the past two decades: Median between 1996 to 2007 was $205K while in the following decade till 2019 it moved up to $358K.
The data set is great to go through and the analysis that accompanies is lucid. If you are building a startup and wondering how much to pay yourself or a CEO you plan to hire – this is a great benchmark resource. Clip, copy bookmark.
Where I learnt this #336
Startup CEO salaries