Michael Tannenbaum is not only the CFO of Brex the new credit card in the block, but also heads its marketing. A rare if not odd combination. How did that come about? Well as he joined Brex, “I started running it right away because we needed someone to, and I had seen success in marketing at SoFi.” he told host Tara Larson in this immensely educative episode of Inside Intercom Podcast. The episode is a great listen at 32 mins.
The key ideas discussed :
1. Break Rules – for Brex it was letting their CFO run marketing and early focus on Outdoor advertising.
2. Build a reward system for your core target.
3. Act bigger than you are (sounds uncannily similar to what Scott Dorsey advised (see post, July 25th)
4. Don’t copy marketing strategies that were successful for others. It is not advisable to be ”looking at what other people had done that had been successful without thinking fully through whether it was relevant for our audience.”
5. Innovate and disrupt – What are entrenched players in your sector not doing that you could?
The agility of cross functional leadership is in full view. I enjoyed the chat and learned. Potentially you could too.
Where I learnt it #220 Brex’s Michael Tannenbaum on fintech growth strategies